Madelon M Sprengnether
Educational Background & Specialties
- creative writing
- feminist psychoanalytic criticism
- women writers
- Eng 8710 - Personal Voice in Criticism
- Eng 8710 - Writers as Critics
- Contemporary Readings of Freud
- Seminar in Literary Nonfiction (Memory and Memoir)
- Studies in Feminist Criticism: Reading Through the Mother
- Freud and Feminism
- Shakespeare, Psychoanalysis, Feminism
- Reading Across Genres
- EngW 5310 - Varieties of Nonfiction Prose
- EngW 5210 - Writing from Life
- Movies and Memory
- The Cinematics of Loss
- Introduction to the Literature of the Renaissance
- The Female Imagination in English and American Literature
- Shakespeare in Question, Feminism, Psychoanalysis, New Historicism and Deconstruction
- Specialized Subjects in Renaissance Literature: Madness in the Drama of Shakespeare and Ford
Research & Professional Activities
- Chair, Fesler-Lampert in Humanities:
- Near Solstice, Mourning (poetry chapbook): West Town Press, 2009.
- The Angel of Duluth, prose poems. Buffalo: White Pine Press, 2006.
- Crying at the Movies: A Film Memoir. St. Paul: Graywolf Press, 2002.
- La Belle et La Bete, poetry chapbook. Sarasota Poetry Theater Press, 1999.
- Shakespearean Tragedy and Gender. Ed. Shirley Garner and Madelon Sprengnether. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1996.
- Revising the Word and the World: Essays in Feminist Literary Criticism. Ed. V. Clark, R. Joeres and M. Sprengnether. Chicago: Chicago University Press, 1993.
- “Feminist Criticism and Psychoanalysis.“ A History of Feminist Literary Criticism. Ed. Gill Plain and Susan Sellars. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- “Musing on Forgiveness: A Response to Roy Schafer.“ Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association 53.2 (Spring 2005).
- “Mouth to Mouth: Freud, Irma and the Dream of Psychoanalysis.“ American Imago 60.3 (Fall 2003).
- “Lot’s wife.“ To Sing Along the Way: Minnesota Women Poets from Pre-Territorial Days to the Present. Ed. Joyce Sutphen, Thom Tammaro and Connie Wanek. Moorhead: New Rivers Press, 2006.
- “Great River Road.“ Fugue 26 (Winter 2003-04).
- “Heart,“ “Hands,“ “Skin,“ “Drowning in Air“ (prose poems). Women’s Studies, 31.4 (July-August, 2002).
- The Spectral Mother: Freud, Feminism and Psychoanalysis. Sprengnether, Madelon, Ithaca: Cornell University Press, Author, 1990.
- The (M)other Tongue: Essays in Feminist Psychoanalytic Interpretation. Sprengnether, Madelon, Ed. Shirley Garner and Claire Kahane , Ithaca: Cornell University Press, Co-Editor, 1985.
- Regents Professor, 2008
- Distinguished Women Scholar Award in the Humanities and Social Sciences, 2005
- Award for Outstanding Contributions to Postbaccalaureate, Graduate, and Professional Education, 2004
- Fessler-Lampert Chair in the Humanities, 2001 - 2002
- McKnight Research Award, 1999 - 2002
- College of Liberal Arts Scholars of the College, University of Minnesota, 1992
- National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship, 1988
- The Loft Creative Nonfiction Award, 1987